Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Breed Profile: Spinone Italiano



The Spinone Italiano is easy going, affectionate and a versatile hunter.  Spinone Italiano means Italian Griffon.



Photo by  Caroline Granycome




Believed to have originated in the Italy's Piedmonte district where the terrain is rough, the sturdy Spinone was used to point, set and retrieve water fowl, upland fowl and small furry animals.  Fifteenth century Italian artwork features dogs that look very much like Spinoni.





Photo by I, Johami



Spinone Manifesto


-  I am not a hyper pointer, don't hog the couch.

-  my beard disguises loose jowls.  There will be slobber.

-  if you want a watch dog, get an Akita.





Photo by Alephalpha



Some Spinone Italiano Facts

-  weight:  male 75-86 #, female 64-75#

-   height:  male 24-28", female 23-26"

-  lifespan:  12-14 years

-  single wiry coat.  Colors:  white, brown roan, orange and white, orange roan







Photo by Brad Patrick



Some say the Spinone is such a natural hunter that he doesn't need training.  That is probably hyperbole.  Still, he is an able hunter who does not limit himself to just pointing, setting or retrieving.  He does it all.

He is also a family dog and would be unhappy living outside in a kennel.  The Spinone gets along with other dogs and is patient with children.  His webbed feet make him a good swimmer.




Photo by Alephalpha



Spinone are loyal and docile.  However, they are intelligent enough to learn quickly and are therefore not keen on repetition or drilling.

They are friendly and amiable to strangers.  Though Spinone are an active breed, their exercise needs can be met by a daily walk and a romp session.






6 comments:

  1. Love this gud dug. A blog I followed years ago always posted about their trips to the dog park. There was a white Spinone and I thought what a fabulous gud dug ! But not as fabulous as "me Scooties". I am a jerk. I know not to have such a big gud dug but I would love to meet one someday.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Mrs.Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Aisha. Spinones live by Polonius' advice: neither a borrower nor a lender be.

      Delete
    2. You're a kinder person in responding to those hapless spammers than I am. The same nitwit sent the exact same comment to my pages.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. It's part of my zany self improvement plan. Instead of cussing while I delete them, I'm resolved to respond differently.

      Delete