The sighting occurred a couple weeks ago, just before daylight, out this window. The creature was strolling casually along the edge of the mowed area. It vanished into the tall grass beyond the trees.
dark brown in color
approximately 3 feet in length, including tail
looks like a skinny badger
aura of malevolence
The identity of this animal is most probably a fisher.
Fishers belong to the family Mustelidae, along with badgers, ferrets, minks, otters, sables, wolverines.
Some Fisher Facts
-coat thick and lush, dark brown to black in color
- 4-15 pounds
- 29-47 inches long, including tail
- range 3-5 square miles
- solitary hunters: rabbit, mouse, grouse porcupine, carrion
- populations dwindled about 100 years ago due to trapping (fisher fur is similar to mink)
- fisher populations are larger now
- most active at dusk and dawn
- able to climb trees but spend most of their time on the ground. However, young are raised in hollow trees high off the ground
Have there been other fisher sightings here at the homestead? No. But that's probably due to fisher stealth.
Read more about the Fisher here.