Friday, December 17, 2010

Don't Eat the Poinsettias

At this festive time of year, let us be alert to everyday dangers!

The following are common poisons that your pet is likely to encounter.

1. Accidental ingestion of medications.
2. Rodenticides (rat poison)
3. Methylanthine toxicity (Chocolate)
4. Plant poisoning
5. Household chemicals
6. Metaldehyde (slug bait)
7. Insecticide
8. Heavy Metals (lead and zinc coins)
9. Toad poisoning (buffa toad Florida)
10. Antifreeze
11. Walnut poisoning
12. Alcohol
13. Strychine

(List compiled by Veterinary Pet Insurance Co.)

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 1-800-548-2423

For classes and/Pet First Aid booklet visit:

for further information on general pet care


  1. Since I usually am host to a bunch of furry friends during the holidays it is good stuff to remember. Thanks!

  2. Walnuts are OK for dogs to eat but not the hulls. A fungus or mold sometimes is present there that is toxic to dogs.

    Scary how seemingly benign things can be so bad!