Thursday, April 1, 2021

More Ducklings

 

Khaki Campbells and Cayugas!  This group is a week old.




Last year's plans to invigorate the laying flock were thwarted by covid restrictions.  Hopefully, there will be more ducks than drakes in this batch.






Ducks typically continue to  lay eggs when they are four, five, six years old.  Trouble is, they slow down and as we have found with the older gals here at Bad Dog Ranch, their egg shells become thinner with age.








I can be a bit of an oaf, but I like to think after having done it a few times I can manage to handle eggs without breaking them.  In the past couple months, I've broken three or four eggs just picking them up and putting them down.  The shells are not as hard.  They just aren't.







For the squeamish in the audience, we won't get into what happens to ducks who don't lay well anymore, just as we don't mention what happens to excess drakes.






I have a mantra:  they are NOT pets... they are NOT pets... 






 In addition to the mantra, it is also helpful for my tender heart to remember that the birds in my care are given the very best life I can provide.





4 comments:

  1. I my brain understand the "not pets" part but. . . I didn't see my favorite duck The one with the Pooffie feathers on the top of his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The not pet thing will always be hard for me. You will find Poofhead the Ultimate Drake in the third picture!

      Delete
    2. Oh There he is ! His Poof looked like the dappled sunshine.
      He will always be my favorite.

      Delete