Friday, October 20, 2017

Breed Profile: Great Pyrenees

The Great Pyrenees (AKA Pyrenean Mountain Dog) was originally used as a flock guardian.  The breed has been around at least since 3000 B.C. when nomadic shepherds brought their sheep and dogs to the Pyrenees Mountains.  Today, many GP's still work as guardians.  Many are pets,  companions, therapy dogs.





Some Great Pyrenees Facts
 - lifespan 10-12 years
-  height:  25-32 inches at shoulder
-  weight:  85-115 pounds
-  double dewclaws on hind legs
-  double coat in white or white with some markings.  The undercoat is dense and wooly, the outer coat is coarse and straight
-  recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1933, a member of the Working Group







The Great Pyrenees is often described as majestic.  (Strangely, the Fright Wig is rarely mentioned.)
GP's are also described as calm, confident, alert, affectionate, strong willed, gentle with family and animals of the home, suspicious of strangers, fearless and serious.





 Great Pyrenees Manifesto

- yes, I do bark a lot.  It's because I take my guardian job seriously.


-  if you are looking for a dog who loves everything and everybody that wanders by, get a Golden Retriever


-  you needn't trouble yourself telling me what to do.  I have everything under control.  You're welcome. 






I don't always sit down on the job.  But when I do, it's in a comfortable chair.

7 comments:

  1. Oh My goodness this is so funny. Your humor is fabulous.
    I really need to live closer !
    What a beautiful dog and what a sweet face. Adore the fright wig.
    The comfortable chair photo is very funny.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are similar in many ways but I don't think they're related. The Great Pyrenees is from France, the Kuvasz is from Hungry.

      Delete